1) To build community and advance racial equity by using the arts and humanities to create and present programming that illuminates and celebrates Black Rhode Island life and culture to a large and diverse audience.
2) To provide youth of color free swimming lessons in order to reduce the high number of drownings in the BIPOC community, dismantle systemic barriers, and ensure their health and well-being.
3) To elevate and empower Black youth by providing workshops and access to cultural opportunities, such as museums, theatre and concerts.
Founded in 2016, Stages of Freedom has at its core addressing racial inequities in Rhode Island and ensuring that Black Lives Matter. We do this through:
1) Swim Empowerment, a statewide program that provides free swimming lessons African American youth, who drown at five times the rate as white youth, at nine partnering YMCAs.
2) Cultural and arts programming and workshops, such as Bow Ties for Boys, Girls Tea Party, and Jazz is a Rainbow, to empower Black youth.
3) Programs that promote and celebrate African American history and culture and build bridges of understanding across the racial divide.
4) Museum of African American history and non-profit bookstore, proceeds from which help fund Swim Empowerment.
5) Environmental Justice through its new tree planting initiative for South Providence.
6) Health, wellness and civil rights presented through its daily
e-blast, "Connected to You"
Adopted by the Board of Directors on June 30, 2016
Stages of Freedom does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Stages of Freedom is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.